Free resources for students, teachers and educational planners
Southern and Eastern Africa Consortium for Monitoring Educational Quality
Table of Contents:
Organisations and Initiatives:
- Free Resources for Students and Teachers:
- Free Journals and Online Libraries:
- World Time Server - Find the current time in any country or major city.
- World Leaders - a regularly updated online directory of Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments.
Organizations and Initiatives for Education in Africa
Related to ICT for Education (Information and Communications Technologies)
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Free Software and Tools
Educational software & games for the classroom
- A free space simulation that lets you explore the universe in three
dimensions. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over
100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy.
- Free software for exploring world development statistics on an
interactive world map, including statistics on health, education,
demographics and economics. Has both online and offline versions.
- TuxPaint - A great free drawing program for young children, with different brush types and special effects.
- Tux Scrabble Games - Several free language and math games based on scrabble.
- TuxMath - A free game for learning math.
- TuxTyping - A free game for learning how to type.
- OpenOffice : Currently the most popular free
alternative to Microsoft Office. It can open and save files in
Microsoft Office format. The suite includes Writer (similar to Word),
Calc (similar to Excel) and Impress (similar to Powerpoint).
a smaller (5 MB) and faster alternative to Microsoft Word and Open
Office Writer (which can open/save files in Microsoft Word format).
- Gnumeric : another free alternative to Microsoft Excel (which can open/save files in Microsoft Excel format).
- A free & popular audio/video player that plays virtually anything.
Open Admin for Schools
- A free web-based School Administration Program. Features include the
recording of student and faculty information, attendance rates, online
gradebook and a report card system.
- Foxit PDF reader: Small and fast program for opening PDF Files. (less than 2 MB).
- Acrobat Reader : Bulkier and slower PDF reader, but with more options for advanced users. Note that this is a large download. (over 27 MB).
- PDFCreator : a tool for creating PDF files from any program that is able to print.
- PDF to Word convertor: convert PDF files to Word documents.
- 7-ZIP : a tool for compressing and archiving files. It can open/unpack files with extensions such as ".ZIP" and ".RAR".
- Moodle E-learning Platform - A popular free alternative to Blackboard for creating online courses with opportunities for rich interaction.
- NVU - A free web page editor with a graphical user interface similar to FrontPage and Dreamweaver.
Other useful free software
Journals of Education - Subscription based
Books and Resources with a focus on Education
- Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA) – ADEA is a network of partners promoting the development of effective education policies on African leadership and ownership.
- Education Policy & Data Center
- EPDC's mission is to enhance access, presentation, and use of
education information and analysis for evidence-based policies and
- European Union
- International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) – The IIEP is a
centre for training and research specialized in educational planning
and management; its mission is to strengthen the capacity of countries
to plan and manage their education systems.
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- The International Labour Organization is the UN specialized agency
which seeks the promotion of social justice and internationally
recognized human and labour rights.
- Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) - The OIF is an international organisation of French-speaking countries and governments.
- Organisation for Economic and Co-Operation and Development (OECD)
- The OECD is an international organisation of those developed
countries that accept the principles of representative democracy and a
free market economy.
- Southern and Eastern Africa Consortium for Monitoring Educational Quality (SACMEQ)
- United Nations
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations leads
international efforts to defeat hunger. Serving both developed and
developing countries, FAO acts as a neutral forum where all nations meet
as equals to negotiate agreements and debate policy. FAO is also a
source of knowledge and information.
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)- UNICEF works for children's rights, their survival, development and protection.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization
advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience
and resources to help people build a better life.
- United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM)
- UNIFEM was set up to be an aid to and advocate for women of the
developing world - it seeks to give them voice and visibility.
- UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization-
UNESCO is the United Nations’ specialized agency for education. Since
its creation in 1945, it has worked to improve education worldwide
through technical advice, standard setting, innovative projects,
capacity-building and networking.
- UNESCO International Bureau of Education (IBE)
- The IBE's main mission is to act as UNESCO's centre specialized in
contents, methods and structure of education. It builds networks to
share expertise on curriculum development in all regions of the world
and aims to introduce modern approaches in curriculum design and
implementation, improve practical skills and promote informed dialogue
at regional and international levels.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- UNEP's mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in
caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations
and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that
of future generations.
- United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- UN-HABITAT is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is
mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and
environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing
adequate shelter for all.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- UNIDO has as its primary objective the promotion and acceleration of
industrial development in developing countries and countries with
economies in transition.
- United Nations Institute For Training and Research (UNITAR)
- UNITAR was established with the purpose of enhancing the
effectiveness of the United Nations through appropriate training and
- United Nations Population Funds (UNFPA)
- UNFPA supports countries in using population data for policies and
programmes to reduce poverty and to ensure that every pregnancy is
wanted, every birth is safe, every young person is free of HIV/AIDS, and
every girl and woman is treated with dignity and respect.
- United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) - UNAIDS is the Joint
United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. It brings together the efforts
and resources of ten UN system organizations to the global AIDS
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United
Nations that acts as a coordinating authority on international public
- USAID - United States Agency for International Development
- USAID is the U.S. government organization responsible for foreign
aid. An independent federal agency, it receives overall foreign policy
guidance from the US Secretary of State.
- World Bank Group
- The World Bank Group is a group of five international organizations
responsible for providing finance and advice to countries for the
purposes of economic development and eliminating poverty.
- African Statistics on Education
- Education For All (EFA) Global Monitoring Report - Every
year, the EFA Global Monitoring Report assesses where the world stands
on its commitment to provide a basic education to all children, youth
and adults by 2015.
- Education Policy & Data Center - A compilation of education statistics from multiple sources, including sub-national data for over 100 countries.
- Human Development Report (HDR) 2006 Statistics - Access data from the 2006 Human Development Report.
- Millenium Development Goals (MDG) Indicators
- the MDG Indicators website presents the official data, definitions,
methodologies and sources for the 48 indicators to measure progress
towards the Millennium Development Goals.
- Nation Master - Create graphs, maps, and country rankings for a very broad range of social, economic and cultural statistics.
- OECD Education Database
- The main purpose of this database is to produce and publish
indicators and analysis on the operation, evolution and impact of
education, from early childhood through formal education to learning and
training throughout life.
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) - Global and internationally comparable statistics on education, science, technology, culture and communication.
o Direct link to the UIS Database of Statistics
- undata - A data search engine which searches through multiple UN databases.
- World Bank Database of Education Statistics
- Makes a variety of national and international data sources (such as
UIS and OECD) available in one location, and compiles World Bank data on
pertinent education topics.
Cross-National Studies of the Quality of Education:
- Academic Databases and Search Engines – An extensive list (from Wikipedia)
- EduTube Educational Videos - Search videos by category, video type and more
- ERIC Search - Search the world’s largest digital library of education literature
- Google – The world's most popular search engine
- Google Scholar – Search scholarly literature
- Google Books
- Search through the large number of books which are freely
downloadable from the Internet. To search only for books for which the
entire text is available, select the option 'Full view books".
- Google Maps - Find your way around the world.
- undata - A data search engine which searches through multiple UN databases.